Many women have breasts that do not match the feminine physique they desire, leading to feelings of dissatisfaction with their body. Breast augmentation is one of the most commonly selected cosmetic procedures but can be overwhelming if you are not aware of your implant options or which technique will best suit your natural curves. Here we will explain what options are available to help guide you towards the appropriate implants and achieve your desired results.
When choosing your implant material, there are many FDA-approved options available to suit your cosmetic goals. Each implant type will have different associated costs and incision requirements. Below are the most common implant types:
- Saline: Round silicone shells are filled with sterile salt water. Incisions for these implants are small, as the implants are not filled until after placement in the breast pocket. In the event of a rupture, the saline fluid is naturally absorbed into the body. Some patients believe that these implants feel less natural than other types, but saline provides a consistent size, shape, and firmness.
- Structured implants: These implants are filled with sterile salt water similar to saline implants, and contain an inner structure for a stable, more natural feel.
- Silicone: Round silicone shells are filled with a silicone gel to provide a natural appearance, which is why these are the most commonly selected implant material. A leak can sometimes be difficult to detect, and periodic evaluations may be required to ensure no ruptures have occurred.
- Highly cohesive silicone: Also known as “gummy bear” implants, these are similar to silicone implants and have a teardrop shape. Gummy bear implants are created with very thick, cohesive gel for stability.
Round implant options will typically add volume to the top portion of your breasts for enhanced cleavage. Shaped implants gently slope down to appear more natural. Both round and teardrop shapes can look natural using various surgical techniques.
Your physique and personal preferences will help Dr. Doezie make recommendations to achieve your goals.
- Low profile implants: This option has a slightly flat appearance and project minimally, making this style ideal for a wider chest.
- Moderate profile implants: This option yields the most natural-looking results by providing more projection than a low profile implant, and less than a high profile implant. Moderate profile is ideal for a small or narrow chest.
- High profile implants: This technique is thin at the base for maximum projection. Results are full and round, ideal for petite women with a small chest wall.
Your preferences will determine the size of your implants, which typically range between 150cc and 800cc. Two different sizes may be used to achieve symmetry.
Breast implants can sometimes move around and reposition in the breast pocket after surgery, so textured implants can assist with keeping implants in place. A textured surface helps develop scar tissue that will attach to the implants to keep them in place. Smoother breast implants offer a softer feel and are less likely to ripple.
Four companies manufacture breast implants and their high-quality products are FDA approved.
- Allergan: This company currently offers saline and silicone implants in varying shapes and sizes. Their Natrelle® silicone implants are made with a thicker silicone gel that maintains a better form in the instance of a rupture.
- IDEAL IMPLANT®: The breast implants offered by this company consist of a silicone shell with internal chambers filled with saline for a stronger structure and natural appearance.
- MENTOR®: Saline and silicone implants are available from this company in several sizes, shapes, and textures.
- Sientra®: This company offers silicone implants in round, shaped, smooth, and textured options, which are created with a thicker silicone gel for maintaining better form in the case of a rupture.
Your Personal Preferences
To achieve your ideal breasts, it is important to consider your options. Scheduling a consultation with Dr. Doezie is an excellent step toward becoming educated on what options are available and what selections will match your breast goals. The most crucial aspect in your decision-making process is ensuring that you will be pleased with the results, leading to improved confidence and satisfaction with your new bust.
If you would like to learn more about breast augmentation and taking steps towards a more flattering body contour, call our office today at (949) 481-9850.